The July Kaleidoscope is here. Read all the latest news from our SLA Transportation Division colleagues>
SLA 2014 in Vancouver, B.C. is closer than you think. Please contact us for travel approval letters and registration. Earlybird is best! The MoDOT policy for foreign travel is to use the current State Department per diem rates. See the link below for Canada, and note that Vancouver has two seasons.
U.S. Department of State January 2014 Per Diem Rates for Canada
Did you tune in? No problem — here’s the replay from IHS and SLA. Our trial continues through November. Next up, Techstreet.
Thank you Sheila Hatchell for sharing the slides, reading list and your notes from this most excellent SLA 2013 session!
Hardcore Tech Every Librarian Should Know
Kendra Levine co-presenter, Tran Div chair-elect, TKN web designer extraordinaire.
Always a fan favorite at SLA, here are the slides from SLA 2013’s presentation of 60 Sites in 60 Minutes. Enjoy!!
My update to our colleagues at GTRIC — some of the things I’m just super proud of our members for accomplishing:
• New Member: University of Alaska Transportation Research Center!
• New TAC members – Michelle Hancock, Caltrans; Mitch Ison, NVDOT; Renee McHenry MoDOT. We’re sad to lose Krys Cherry from NMDOT next Fall, but we wish her the best in her retirement.
• Proving Your Library’s Value: a Toolkit for librarians was published in print and on the web and I showed it on the screen.
• In development: Marketing and Outreach Toolkit. Looks like we’re developing a series here. (Trans Librarians Toolkit, 2 eds.)
• 4 Cataloging projects – three large scale individual, 1 multistate – total of 8 libraries are receiving assistance with cataloging backlogs and incorporating cataloged collections into their own catalogs and WorldCat.
National Library Week materials were developed, I showed them off!
• Working with RAC TKN Taskforce to lead projects to address and improve the report distribution process and the technical documentation page design and/or instructions on uniform and consistent use of the page.
• We worked with NTL and OCLC on assessing viability of TLCat …
• Hosting two wikis for the NTKN – Cat Working Group and Digitization Working Group
• TKN Web project continues with Calendar of KM events in development
• Subscriptions: Consortium Discounts on ASCE Library – pooled fund provided seed money this subs year, Cataloger’s Desktop, Classification Web, RDA Toolkit, Library Technology Reports, Smart Libraries Newsletter
o Concluded a free trial of EBSCO Ebooks for Engineering (Engineering Core) and the consortium discount is open to all TKN members
o We are looking at reference tracking software purchase or subscription and still working at New Acq List – method for most efficient approach.